Saturday, February 13, 2021

Durham's Log Entry 7: Through a Door Darkly

 (written by Joel, earning his character Durham 100 xp per level for his accounting of his most recent expedition)

Durham's log, entry 7

Memory of my last adventure is a bit incomplete, I only seem to recall certain parts, but I will recount what I can.

My companions and I gathered once more to plan an adventure. A new face was among us, his name was Althis. He is a capable magic-user with a clever mind and swift action.

We talked about many things and made some future plans. They asked if I had made any progress on the war club. I told them that the green metal seemed familiar, like a door I encountered in the caves near the ocean's throat, so we made plans to investigate.

We gathered many provisions and hired a few others to assist us. Bartholomew hired Gan ad-Din as usual, it wouldn't be an adventure if Bartholomew and Gan weren't together. Persephone hired Warda who was understandably nervous given our destination. I hired a new fellow Gadhar, a mysterious hooded man. I also went to the Kantor to buy some sakkra blood potions as a precaution, when I returned to the party they inquired as to the price I paid. I told them of my discount because of my association with the Kantor, then they asked me to proxy a purchase for them. So I returned once more to buy more potions, the clerk gave me an odd look but continued with my purchase.

So we set forth to the sea caves, the ever faithful Pako helped guide us to our destination. Along the way we encountered Gilakite and a new monster I haven't seen before, a humanoid fishman, still even stranger was its rotting flesh. Pako warned us not to look into their eyes. There were about eight of them but since they were in our path we had to engage them. We were able to draw out the Gilakite to fight them as well while we hit them with whatever we throw, sling or shoot. All the creatures' morale broke after a few exchanges and we were able to pass through.

As we neared our destination, our party stopped and prepared, for I had warned them of a strange presence at these door, something would come over and play with your feelings. I approached first, standing a good length away, a faint musky smell came from the doorway. I scanned the doors, I detected 3 lifeforms behind it, and noted strange writing on these doors, as well as a pictograph of blacksmithing. I returned to the party and told them of my findings, Bartholomew was next to approach the door hoping to decipher the marking on the door, he was unable to discover its meaning at present, further study is required to unravel the meaning. I asked Gadhar to cast detect evil to see if he could feel ill intent from the creatures behind the door, he did. Making whatever was behind that door our enemy.

It seemed to me a missed opportunity if we came all this way and did not open the door so I urged my friends that the ten of us prepare for battle. Althis knocked on the doors and they began to slide open. As they did we backed away from the door, the musky odor increasing. At first we could only see two of our opponents, they slim wearing these fine veils, their teeth looked sharpen. At third finally appeared, they didn't seem intelligent they seem to just keep coming towards you they were hit by a barrage of sleeping spells and fell down to the ground. I went to approach one and that is where my memory blanks.

I do not recall the rest of the adventure. My friends say nothing else happened… nothing!

We inspected the area behind the doors and found some bodies that creatures have been feasting on. There were also workbenches with tools and some strange metal. We then collected our treasure and left.

I shall have to rest today and perhaps find a healer in these lands, not just to heal wounds I suffered but to check over my mental health as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment