Friday, February 5, 2021

Durham's Log Entry 6: Fungus and Fire

 (written by Joel concerning a recent foray into the Weirding Caves, earning his character Durham 100 xp per level)

I met with friends at a nearby tavern. They told me of the adventures they had while I was absent from Cothon. They showed me a strange object, metal sphere with a lens and stud opposite of each other. It reminded me of my scanner in some aspects. I pulled out my scanner to compare them visually, there wasn't much to compare so I used my scanner. I was able to have it ping for metal and a new setting. I'm unsure what this new setting is but it seems to have something to do with this lost technology found within the Tel and surrounding area. I advised that the object be placed in sunlight to charge and to experiment with it. I recommend to press the stud in a dark room to see if emits light or to point the lens where footprints or handprints might be seen. However, my theories on this mystery object have yet to be proven.


Bartholomew told me about a cavern he and his companions encountered in his latest adventure, he told me that it was not only the place where aquire the sphere but treasure as well. But not all the treasure.


Our goal was simple, we recover the rest of the treasure. The problem was the giant pair of fungus creatures that made the part of the cavern their home. Fire had proven effective in warding off the beast in their last encounter but that was only a flask of oil. So we decided three small carts packed with lamp oil would be enough. With carts loaded and our hireling gathered we set out through the gate of the mourners.


We had an uneventful journey to the mouth of the caverns, before we entered we prepared our carts. Each cart had two large clay pots, staw and a few regular flasks of oil for good measure.


We enter the cavern and proceed to a lower chamber with additional pathways out, one of which leads to the large chamber where our prey was to be. The party's hope was to trap both creatures in the tunnel that connects the two chambers. One oil cart would be placed at each end of the tunnel.


We were about to set our trap, when Finbar warned us of something approaching, we decided to hide in the far end of the chamber and hood our lamps. We could hear movement ahead, so I pulled out my scanner and set it to lifeforms. Five blips were on my scanner and the inspected our carts then continued on but left one behind. Line up my crossbow with the direction of the blip and gave the signal to Bartholomew to unhood his lantern. He did revealing a spider-like creature. I squeezed the trigger but I missed, luckily Heijo fired a shot from her sling and dispatched the foul thing in one hit. None of the other spiders returned.


We returned to our task and set our trap. Bartholomew and Gan stayed below to light the inner corridor cart while the rest of us returned to the upper pathway that lead to the cliff edge that half circled the large chamber the fungus giants were in. Once up there we could not see or hear anything. So I began to make noise like a wounded animal. Soon a rumble came from the other side of the chamber. Shoted to Bartholomew and Gan to make some noise to attract them to their position. They did, one of the giants stretched their legs forward covering a good amount of ground. Gan and Bartholomew retreat into the corridor as planned with a fungus giant in pursuit. Soon after a bright light from the cavern way illuminated the main chamber. I was faced with a quick decision. Should I wait to see if the other fungus follows it's companion with the potential of trapping both or secure their separation now. I choose the latter. Handing a rigged oil flask to Persephone we launch our attack on the cart below almost simultaneously. Her throw landed perfectly lighting the cart ablaze then my bolt pieced into the clay pot sealing off the main chamber from the corridor. The second fungus was clearly visible now we each fired a round into the creature and when Heijo's turn came she launched the perfect shot onto the beast's head the oil pooled perfectly on to it's cupped head. The giant stumbled for a bit but its fate was sealed. Pako and I started making our way to the other side of the chamber where Heijo had set up a rope.


I climbed down followed by trusty Pako. I pulled out my scanner to perform a sweep of the floor and handed Pako a large sac to gather any treasure we found. We found some coins, jewels and another strange object.


In the middle of the chamber was a giant pit, I lit another torch and threw in down. The torch flew down into the abyss of darkness, creating a ring of light against the pit walls. Before the torch went out of sight it did briefly reveal a level below the pit which could probably be reached if one were to climb down but I also caught a glimpse of more fungus monsters on the level.


Once our treasure was gathered, we tied it to the end of our rope, we climbed up then pulled our riches up. We return to the rest of the party and I gave Heijo her rope and grappling hook back.


We explored further into the caverns, for sometime eventually finding a pathway behind some flow stone where some ape men were hidden. I suddenly was overcome with sleep and fell into an unwakeable slumber. My noble friend returned me to my home, I'll have to reward them in the future.





No comments:

Post a Comment