Friday, January 20, 2023

From Bartholomew's Journals: About an Orb


From the Journals of Bartholomew Pettibone, of the House Pettibone

A Purveyor of Enchanting Sorcery



18 January 2023

About An Orb

(When Does An Item Become An Artefact?)


It has been over-long since last I put ink to parchment. Much has transpired, but as I have limited time at hand, I will have to be brief, and then get to the main point.

First, I have unwittingly enmeshed into mine the memories, the experiences, the desires, the knowledge, the fears – and more – of the many past lives of the one known as Hamdi. Yes, even that great explorer and seafarer of old, Hamdi. Through a strange quirk of fate, I encountered a certain being who provided me with a particular elixir. I partook of what was offered; I felt no hint of malevolence in demeanor of presenter or gift. The experience that followed cannot be explained in words – suffice to say, it was “mind-altering”. And so, while I remain Bartholomew Pettibone, of the House Pettibone, I am also … Hamdi. I am both at once, yet neither alone. I am always lucid, yet I feel at times that I walk in a dream-scape, or a dream-time of constant deja-vu. Things once unfamiliar, and even still unfamiliar, instantly become familiar. I can understand how utterly mad it sounds, and perhaps I will elaborate later, but there is a more pressing matter.

An orb.

Many months past, Gan and I entertained an invitation from our good friend Lord Althis, who resides in the Tower Invincible. Durham and Pako were invited alike. Althis was in need of assistance exploring and clearing out some of the territory that he is currently claiming to be under his “protection”. Eyeing this as a potentially lucrative adventure, we accepted. ((For anyone wishing to get more back story – see session #65)) One of the spoils of that expedition was a unique “crystal” orb, in combination with its custom metallic, tripod stand. The circumstance of its unveiling, and the precisely detailed artwork that adorned its stand, seemed to me to indicate that it was a singular and exceedingly rare prize. Lord Althis, being a generous benefactor, was good enough to allow me to claim it as my own – my boon for assisting him.

After returning to Bob Hall, I put away this massive “crystal” and focused my attentions on many varied, unrelated avenues of research. And so the orb sat, forgotten and virtually untouched for some time, on a shelf aboard Bob. Perhaps this is a feature that surrounds and protects the stone? However, not long ago, I rediscovered the orb as I was searching for other items aboard Bob, and began wondering about its existence within the Tower Invincible – a place that seems to be a nexus of great power. Using a cunning spell taught to me by my comrade Heijo, I was able to open my eyes into a new dimension of energetic sight, and determined that the orb enveloped and radiated an intense magical energy.

Since then, I have given over a fair amount of time investigating the orb's properties and potential pedigree. What I have learned is interesting, and certainly exciting, especially concerning its properties. Yet, while information about its pedigree has been somewhat cloudy, it has also made me cautious. I, and my companions have been involved in some deeply fantastical adventures, to be sure; however, after my recent evolution, I can't help but feel that I have in my possession an artefact of great power and ancient lineage. I believe it is a piece of history that has the ability to alter … well … everything. Everything.

While I find that the Hamdi part of me wishes to sojourn down a different path at the moment, I feel that the orb should be given some modicum of continued scrutiny. As such, I will be turning the orb over to Sesel, to maintain in his possession, as steward, until I may request its return. I have the sincere hope that he can put the resources together required to further research this enigmatic sphere. And with its giving over, I will share the information I have gleaned so far. And at banquet within the halls of Sesel's iqta, I will share this info with others within my cabal of barbarians: Heijo, Durham, Avinnia, Najm, and Arngeir … and Lord Althis, of course.

First – I say it is “crystal”, and indeed it appears as such, but I have not yet been able to determine its exact composition. The orb is approximately the size of two closed fists held close together. It appears to be a perfectly smooth, perfectly shaped sphere. The material is dark, almost black when first gazed upon. However, upon closer inspection the matrix is seen to be translucent and smoky. The tripod stand upon which it rests is composed of three rods of an unknown metal, but I would venture that they are zortrium, or an alloy of the same. Perhaps Durham can verify this. The designs that are in relief along the entire length of the rods is quite detailed, and defies easy description. Without a doubt, the designs are quite unique, and most certainly evoke stories of great deeds in ages past. I could not venture to place a monetary value on this artefact, even if I could say exactly what it is made of. And of course, there is the fact that it courses and pulses with magical energy of an immeasurable amount. Most importantly, I have been able, through deep and focused concentration, to peer into and sweep away the cloudiness within the orb, “seeing” an alternate location. Because of these visions I am convinced that the orb has the ability to facilitate communication over distances – small and great.

The place that has been revealed to me continues to appear somewhat misty, but has a familiar feel to it, appearing much like the central command bridge of Bob – but greater. And it is, in fact, an active bridge; many of the visible “magic mirrors and plates” are lit and alive with action. There is also, most definitely, a being of some kind lurking at that location, one with an odd, unnatural gait. However, I have not been able to see them clearly, as they always seem to be just on the edge of vision – ghostly and gangly – veiled by the smoky mists that continually swirl within the orb.

I have attempted to push ESP and various other spells through the orb, even mundane speaking, hoping to initiate contact or a conversation. But so far my attempts seem to have been unsuccessful. Perhaps Sesel or one of my other companions may have better luck focusing their unique psychic abilities through the orb?

Even with these failures, they have helped me flesh out some of the heritage of this artefact. Initially, Gan was able to put me in contact with a certain patron of his within the Piedrajoya – the secretive guild of jewelers and gem-cutters. This patron was able to provide me with some bits of old, vaguely connected, and guarded information. During our conversations I was given over to the feeling that what was being divulged was not necessarily meant for my ears, being not of that guild. However, the easing of inhibitions, brought on by liberal amounts of excellent Mysrian wine, combined with my being a trusted confidant of Gan's, brought forth a tale of great interest.

I described the orb to this guild master, implying that I was researching its existence for an educational thesis; I did not foreclose that I had the very same artefact in my possession. In a hushed and covert tone, with words slightly slurred by the numbing of tongue with wine, it was accorded that stones, gems, orbs, “crystals”, of the type I described, were exceedingly rare, coveted, and of untold value. There was a deeply held and fervent belief among the Piedrajoya that an unknown, but perhaps small number of these orbs existed in the distant past, and may still exist in even smaller quantities today.

The particular orb that I described was noted to be one that was gifted to either the ruler of Old Tsurr, or their steward/castellan, by mysterious beings from outside (far outside!) the realms of men/klackons/k'zin/etc. Demons?!The jeweler believed that these beings have only ever been known as the “Guardians of Old Tsurr”. However, more on this later. The tale-spinner concluded his confessions by implying that the orbs were somehow used for communication between Old Tsurr and those “Guardians”, and my experience with the orb certainly lends validity to this belief – to some extent at least. Some unknown slight, or falling out, caused the situation between Old Tsurr and the “Guardians” to become strained, and ultimately severed. And so, this particular orb was believed to have been hidden away, neglected, and forgotten – for ages.

Armed with that bit of fantastical knowledge, I pored through the vast library of the Kantor, where the miners and gemologists go to drink, swap tales of prospecting, and cavort. In particular, I spent much time going over entries in the massive “Almagest of Kushvant Sen”. Within that great tome I found descriptions of “crystal” orbs, similar to what the gem-cutter had related. Stories, purported to be fact, told of how these stones were held as great and powerful examples of the power of the Kings of Old Tsurr, that their function was to facilitate communications, and that they were connected with beings called the “Guardians of Old Tsurr”. What the jeweler had related seemed to be confirmed.

This particular orb was said be called the “Gloaming Stone”, and is believed to be at least 2000 years old. From what I could determine it was lost to modern times and the thoughts of men (well, most men) at least 500 years ago. Many historical figures have been associated with this particular orb – Dalan II, Dalan IV, and the great warrior Arumanz. Furthermore, it appears to have a connection with the Fortress Moon, as well as the “Aegis of the Demon Queen”.

Of particular interest was a tale that described the beings – the “Guardians” – who gifted the stone as being called “Selenites”. These Selenites, it was noted, had been enslaved by Demons of the Fortress Moon. However, an accord had been struck between men and Selenites to usurp the Demons. This was successful, thanks to the leadership and strategy of Dalan II. This success led to the fellowship swearing what is known as the Sicarian Oath. During this ceremony, the orb, called then the “Crystal of Shadow”, was gifted by the Selenites to Dalan II, in order to seal their friendship and alliance.

The purpose of the orb was described in the Almagest as providing communication between like orbs and their “Guardians”, and may even have provided some means of instantaneous aid to occur between distant locations.

Unfortunately, I have other duties and researches that I must attend to, and will not be able to continue poring over this “Gloaming Stone”. And so I give it over to Sesel, hopeful that they may be able to investigate its properties and heritage further. I would offer that the term “Selenites” is an old Tsurrian reference to living beings comprised completely of stone – particularly of moonstone. I know this sounds impossible, but we have encountered weirder things – even beings seemingly made only of water! Perhaps concentrating first on who or what the Selenites are, and where they might be found, and what the Sicarian Oath is, could be productive. Also, the idea that the orb conveys communication over vast distances gives me pause to consider a potential connection to how the Hanse seems to have such excellent “luck” in knowing what cargoes might procure the greatest profit in far-away markets. Perhaps other “Gloaming Stones” are in existence, and are being used? Finally, within the Herme and Stone there is an odd pillar of alien stone that tugs at an old Hamdi memory – yet it remains cloudy and difficult to access clearly and coherently. When pondering the orb, and thinking of this pillar of stone, something tickles deep down in my mind – I feel that there might be a connection there, but it eludes me. Anyway for now, I leave the “Gloaming Stone” in Sesel's capable possession – with these potential clues to follow – and hopefully we may eventually learn its full potential, and be able to use it in a manner befitting its seeming illustrious heritage.


 [for this account, written by Phil for his character Bartholomew Pettibone, Bart earns 100 xp per level]

No comments:

Post a Comment