Tuesday, July 20, 2021

The Will of Najm ibn Marwan

(written by me, concerning my character Najm's most recent adventure in the Undercity of Cothon--run by Jacob--for 100 xp per level)


I give thanks to the Saints and Heroes, that they have watched over me ever since my arrival in Cothon, Mother of Ports. Though my uncle counseled me against this tack--against leaving our family in al Agadrein, to attempt to make my way in Cothon (and perhaps, one day--Gadeed herself!)--yet here I am, suddenly wealthier than my father or uncles, a thousand times over!

How many years have they dreamed of owning a fishing-felucca, its hull sewn tight by the great shipwrights of the Cothon? And I have just commissioned such a ship, and spent only a part of my new-won riches.

By the grace of the Saints, my hopes have come to fruition--hearing of the great riches uncovered in the ancient Tel by barbarian adventurers, I knew that I could follow their example, if only I were free to do so. And though indeed I have not set foot within the Tel, yet I have found a quite different avenue of adventure in al Medina al Taht (the "Undercity" of Cothon).

Most recently, eager to test my mettle once again, I fell in with a fellow by name of Althis, and told him of the riches to be won below the city. Interested in my proposal, we agreed to hire a couple extra sword-arms--the Kzin Hero Riit Rakir on his part, and al Rabb the free renyu on mine--and then descend into the strange underworld.

Curious encounters followed, straight out of the romances. We encountered the self-styled princess of an ancient and forgotten tribe of Gadeed, surrounding herself with a rabble of rough men until her time comes to reveal herself and her lineage. We shared wine in her secret underground hall, and Althis revealed himself "Lord Althis of the Crag Keep"--and I didn't even know I was already in the presence of real nobility! I admit, the tete-a-tete of such court niceties are beyond me, and my mind was on the wine, but I think Lord Althis took something of a shining to this Lady Faraat.

Professing much friendship to the Lady, we then set out seeking her enemies elsewhere in the underworld of the city. Another rabble of men--bandits, no doubt! which apparently Lord Althis has had much to do with others of their ilk--who maintain their own encampment within these undercrofts. With the clever use of a charm I know to speak with lesser beasts, we secured the aid of a sekeker in showing us where these bandits kept their wealth, and then with a fine bit of foolery on our part (wearing the bandits' insignia), and a distraction by Rakir, then Althis, Rabbiy, and I were able to make off with quite a haul of secreted treasure.

Some portion of that has gone into the felucca I commissioned--the Saint Iksameen--while the bulk of my share of this new-won wealth I am storing at the great tavern Cothon-Under-Star, under the protection of the Survivors of the Tel. And a good thing, too!

Just after the recent riots following the Procession of Locor, I returned to my quarters in a lesser tavern to find the place torn apart and ransacked, and a note left to return some part of the treasure, or else I would look worse than my quartesr!


All of this being an introduction to the will I am leaving with the Survivors, as I am thus reminded that luck and the grace of the Saints can all be taken away as if by the roll of the dice, and so I had best see to the securing of my demise in case the worst should happen.

So, I, Najm ibn Marwan al Agadreini, do thus set forth this will as to the division of my material possessions should I be slain or incapacitated. This will is binding until changed by me, or made void should I have natural issue by wife or concubine.

  1. 1000 dinars are set aside for my father, Marwan al Agadreini, or my brother Marwan ibn Marwan after that
  2. 1000 dinars are likewise set aside for the Survivors, as executors of this will
  3. a tenth of my remaining wealth-in-cash goes to the Decapolis treasury, may the Saints look out for the Souffets
  4. a fifth of my remaining wealth-in-cash goes to the Confraternity of 'Issa the Baptist for charitable works
  5. the ship Saint Iskameen, my possessions, and the remainder of my cash I leave to my cousin, whose adventurous heart I know yearns to do as I have done, and who will use these things in pursuit of romance, rather than staid drudgery

Signed this day, يوليو ٢٠
نجم بن مرؤان الاحادريني


No comments:

Post a Comment