Thursday, January 21, 2021

Torkol's Misadventures in the Weird

(Written by Jacob, this account of Torkol's recent experiences in the Weirding Caverns will earn Torkol 100 xp per level)

Not wanting to leave all the adventuring to my robust friend Sesel I decided to leave the relative safety of Cothon’s greatest tavern, that of Cothon-Under-Star. Before making my way I met up with Cothon’s newest patron, Bartholomew and his erstwhile companions Heijo and Persephone. After some deliberation we concluded to investigate the Weirding Caves, them having been recently and myself being quite curious having heard several stories of the place.


Our trip out was uneventful, thanks to the well patrolled path of the Pallbearers' Way. Unsure of our specific goals within the caves we opted for a fairly straightforward path, so as to make return easier. This led us quickly deep within the cave system. Before long we were confronted by a mismatched group of beings, obviously intelligent by their communication, but unable to communicate with us. After establishing that we were not there to invite conflict they brought out a strange potted plant that somehow mimicked both our speech, and that of the creatures. Through this interpreter we arranged for an exchange of information for goods, netting us some info on a nearby cave. Specifically that it contained “great evil”.


Not wanting to test ourselves against a ‘great evil’ just yet we backtracked to the upper levels of the caves, and explored some area that the previous adventure hadn't investigated. There we found a group of Renyu that Persephone’s companion Finbar indicated were ‘feral’. After tossing a ration to them served more to create conflict amongst tham than it did to lower tensions we decided to investigate elsewhere.


At this point I thought I had my bearings, and so decided we needed to investigate that room of the ‘great evil’ to see if we could locate the remains of a previous expedition. I’m still not sure at this point if we ever even got close, being unable to confirm any of the landmarks I was expecting.


Anyway, the room of ‘great evil’ ended up being a massive room in which our torch light didn’t reach ceiling nor floor, save for a single worked path along the wall from our side of the room to an exit on the other side. Before fully leaving this place we tossed a torch down to see what we could see. And lo and behold, two great mushnts (that’s Mushroom-Ent) lumbered about below. Fortunately for us, having seen no sparkle or shine this whole trip, we also spotted some treasure. Being the foo (cough) brave adventurers we are we organized a plan to distract the mushnts from one end while the extremely brave Gan ad-Din (no known relation to my friend Gan, of the Survivors) was lowered into the pit to shovel the treasure.


You may be thinking: “ah, and they reached up with the fronds on their heads and struck at you”. They did not, though try as they might we were simply too high up for them. While they were initially somewhat confused by our attacks, lumbering around in circles, eventually one of them fled the room by the only exit we could see. Thinking quickly, and using my knowledge of other such caverns from which the Survivors have investigated, I went with my (decidedly less enthusiastic) colleague Stout. He and I laid down oil on the path I calculated the creature to take, and lo it did. The fire held it at bay, but it did release a cloud of spores to assault us. I, being an honourable employer, pushed the rather solidly built Stout out of danger, but did inhale some myself.


That, I tell you, did not feel good in the slightest. However, still having enough strength to act, I lobbed a flask of oil on the beast, setting it aflame with the fire of the hall. Take that you beast, you’re not the only one who can throw around pain. At that, though, I began to weaken, the spores having clogged my airways. Stout hauled me back to our compatriots, and Persephony poured some vile, life saving, filth down my gullet. This allowed me to recover my breath, and just in time too. For it was that Gan had collected most of the valuables, and the mushnt in the pit was starting to notice him. So, at the heaving and hauling of Bartholomew and Finber, we absconded from the caves. And, again in thanks to the patrols providing safe passage back to our soft beds, strong drink, and all you wonderful patrons, we have Survived yet another adventure into the Tel.




No comments:

Post a Comment