Monday, January 11, 2021

Durham's Log 4: A Swim in the Dark

 (written by Durham's player, Joel, concerning a recent foray into the Sea Caves, and earning Durham 100 xp per level)

With the promise of coin from Zayta for more information of the pirate camp and bounty, should we capture a pirate alive. I went to recruit a small team to recon the area.

I ran into an egar new adventurer name Bartholomew. He is a magic user and a student of many languages. He is an eager soul with many clever ideas.

I also hired Bridne for her martial arts as insurance if we ran into a fight. My faithful renyu Pako was are guide.

We headed north to the caves, navigating our way to the camp. There was a small camp on the beach and further down the beach was a ship and another ship on the other side of the cave.

I crept up to investigate the camp and heard voices in conversation,. Several normal voice and one deep growling voice. I used my scanner to see eight lifeforms. I went back to my compatriots to report what I had found. Bartholomew suggested we keep watch on the camp while one of us investigated the ships. I volunteered.

Leaving Bartholomew and Bridne behind I crossed the channel that traveled down the sea cave to the beach on the other side of the sea cave. The ship I first saw was black with a hawk face with sides painted like wing where the oars came out. What a terrifying sight it must be when at full speed, oars imitating flapping wings. The second ship had a prominent ram on it shaped like a nautilus, tentacles waiting to impale a board side of a galley.

With a description of both ships I slipped back to my party. When I came to the sudden realization that I was not alone in the water. Whatever the creature was beneath me seemed to pay me no mind so I continued careful not to bring attention to myself.

Bartholomew and Bridne had been watching the camp, the pirates have been drinking and Bartholomew had pick out a suitable candidate for captur. We waited until he went to relieve himself then Bartholomew whispered a word and made a gesture with his hand and the mark fell down into deep sleep. Other members of the camp heard and called out to their friend. I knew they would come and investigate but I remember all the pranks I would pull on my brother by throwing my voice. I called upon those talents once again and gave my best performances of a drunkard with a mouth full of sand. The other pirates seemed convinced and returned to their drink.

Lifting our captive we slipped away from the camp then bound and gaged him. He soon woke. With a knife to his throat and snarling Pako, he accepted our request.

We made our way back only encountering a strange snake with large globe like eyes that slithered away. The rest of our trip was uneventful. Bartholomew had some questions about our procedure thinking it strange to walk our bounty in the open street. I guess they have no outlaws or criminals where he is from.

Zayta was please with our success placing a large bag of coin in front of us. We split our bounty separated ways. Pako and I retired to my usual booth at the Kantor. Where I met a lovely dancer by the name of Vituria.



No comments:

Post a Comment